Friday, April 1, 2011

Chapter 1: BLUH BLUH HUGE TEXT

Okay it wasn't bad at all, but that wouldn't make for a funny.

The introduction chapter of the reader was a quick read (only a scant three pages) but I enjoyed it.

The start goes on about Marcel Duchamp, John Cage, Jean Tinguely, Robert Rauschenberg, and Merce Cunningham.

All very famous artists who I have heard something about in the past.

Okay I am more "kinda sorta vaguely" familiar with their bodies of work, but thanks to this introductory text, I have a better idea.

I really liked the bit about "aesthetic heresy."


WAIT SHIT NO IT'S THE COMMISSAR FUC-

*BLAM*

*thud*





















Naa I'm okay.

Anyways, that part interested me greatly.

I work as a ceramicist most of the time. My work is taking dirt and making it into pretty shapes. It is really hard to move away from formal artistic methods in this medium.

You make a vessel.

It's either nice or crappy.

What I have noticed is that all the ceramic work that I see other people do.

And I do mean all of it.

It has a particular aesthetic. The way that curves are formed.

The way handles are attached.

The way foots are carved.

The construction of the shoulder.

And a whole bunch of other terms that you probably don't want to hear about...

They all have this similar style to them.



I want to do something different with my pottery.

And this text really sang to me about that.

Not literally, as that is quite sappy and artsy fatsy, but you get the picture.


In my ceramic works, I want to have the freedom that this introduction retails.

I think it will make my pieces better.


Back to the wheel I guess. Can't develop a different ceramic aesthetic just sitting on my ass.

But the ceramics lab is closed until next week.

Ah fuck.

I can wait.


And that's it.

No comments:

Post a Comment